Tuesday, 7 February 2017

Hand-Painted Postcards


During this grey and drizzly weather and with the onset of Valentine's Day I had an idea to send some of my lovely friends a little card in the post to say 'hello'. I grabbed a couple of these great little watercolour postcard sketchbooks from Cass Art and got out my paints for a bit of fun. You could always use card or watercolour paper cut to A6 size if you can't get hold of the postcard books.






I focussed on using colours I loved and had a play with the paints. The main technique I used was dripping colours down the paper but I also painted washes of colours onto wet paper too. The tie-dye-esque looking postcards I created by wetting the paper first then painting circles of paint and dragging the paintbrush from the centre outwards.



Now, I just need to get my favourite pens out and start writing!!

This post is linked to #handmademonday organised by Julia of Sum of their Stories.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! They were such fun to make x

      Delete
  2. What a lovely idea, it is such a treat to get something thoughtful like this through the post, I'm sure you'll put a smile on all your recipients faces :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. Maybe one will be winging its way to you!!

      Delete
  3. Lovely idea, I think working on smaller items can be so much more fun than larger pieces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolee, yes I had lots of fun working on a smaller scale!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely idea, your friends are so lucky to have an original piece of art. You make it look really do-able too. Thanks for shairng at #HandmadeMonday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia. They are really easy to do as its just paint dripping and simple washes.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely idea, I bet your friends will really appreciate them too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super fun + easy :D Dropping by from #HandmadeMonday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely! Thanks for popping by Chrissie!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely idea:) I am sure your friends will love receiving them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky - I've already received a few happy text messages from grateful receivers of hand-made postcards!

      Delete