Friday, 1 September 2017

North West to Central London Adventures

The first day of September proved to be a glorious day! A good time for a long walk.

6.9 Mile Walk
Such a beautiful day after a pretty miserable week of grey drizzle and dropping temperatures. It was surprisingly hot and sunny all day.
Setting off at Finchley Road station I walked up the hill on Frognall Road, through Hampstead on Spaniards Road towards Kenwood House. A leisurely picnic stop in the walled gardens fuelled the next stage of the walk through Hampstead Heath, past the ponds where I filled a container full of blackberries (not the biggest or juiciest I have ever seen but tasty).
Next stop at the top of the hill near Parliament Hill Lido to appreciate the fantastic vista of the London skyline.
Then homeward bound through Kentish Town, Camden Market, a quick walk along Regent's Canal through Regents Park and finally Great Portland Street.
Hampstead Village
The beautiful gardens around Kenwood House
The handsome Kenwood House, Barbara Hepworth sculpture and Hampstead Heath pond 
The view from Parliament Hill, blackberry picking, Kentish Town terraced houses, blackberry smoothie at home

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful day for a walk. Your photographs make me wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary - the sunshine was so hot on Friday but cool in the shade so perfect for a late summer walk.

      Delete
  2. I really like these walks. When I was a law librarian, before the joys of the internet, one of my tasks was to scan through newspapers for articles relevant to what people were working on. The independent did quite a long series of walks in different areas of London- I used to cut these out and go for a walk on a quiet weekend - I saw all sorts of bits that I wouldn't otherwise have explored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. I have really enjoyed getting out and about too.
      My dad used to take us out into the wilds of Scotland with maps and compasses just looking for fun places to find from the contours on the map.

      Delete
  3. Such a nice idea to blog your tours! This one looks fun too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it has been fun documenting my adventures!

      Delete