Thursday, 31 August 2017

Marilla's Top + Top Shop Top

Two new tops. Both from re-fashioned fabric.


First up is a relaxed V neck top by Marilla Walker. It is view D from the Robert's Collection and I have been meaning to make this for a while now. I wanted to use a fabric with a nice drape, cue this M&S wrap skirt that I bought from Traid in Camden a few months ago. I bought it for the black geometric viscose which seemed ripe for a re-fashion.

After unpicking the waist-band and removing eight darts I was very lucky to squeeze this top out of the remaining fabric. I cut the V detailing at the back on the cross-grain to take advantage of the interesting silhouette.
I used French Seams throughout and sewed them down for a faux felled seam - I actually really liked the effect of this technique more on the inside than the 'right way'. Maybe next time I will use this technique on the outside as a feature?


Cool V detail at the back!
I used a black cotton to face the neckline which has given it a nice bit of stability.

There is nothing nicer than a well-behaved facing
Marilla's instructions are great and her construction methods direct you to make a beautifully made garment. Lovely on the inside too (just like Marilla).
When I finished this top I realised my friend Charlotte would love it and so this will be gifted to her tomorrow - I hope she likes it!



Next, a quick and easy re-fashion on a Top Shop dress that I bought in a second hand shop purely because it was 100% silk and it was a bargain at £6.00. It was however one size too small for me. Never fear, I knew I could chop it up into a top as the dress wouldn't fit over my hips. A simple rolled hem later and voila, a new silk top!

Done. Two Autumnal-looking tops ready for the next season.

16 comments:

  1. What a clever pattern! The top turned out great, how nice of you to gift it to a friend :)
    The refashioned top looks great too, you're really clever with all your refashions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. The Robert's Collection It is a lovely little pattern. I would recommend.

      Delete
  2. both are lovely. the Marilla pattern is on my to buy list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two great tops, well done to you. I really like the silk, such pretty fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary - I love the pattern on the silk top too. It's quite unusual.

      Delete
  4. Really lovely makes! I love the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both are beautiful, lucky friend getting a gift of a beautiful hand made top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, my friend really loves her top which is a bonus!

      Delete
  6. A couple of lovely tops :) You picked a great fabric for showing off the v detail in the first top x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. Yes the fabric was a lovely print x

      Delete
  7. I love seeing refashions like this - the 'before' and 'after'! These are both great. I really fancy the Roberts Collection pattern - such good value too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn. I have yet to make some of the dungarees / dress from this pattern but they look really comfy!

      Delete
  8. Such a pretty collection, love the fabric. I too use french seams a lot just makes a garment look finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolee. I love French Seaming garments it makes it feel a little bit more luxurious!

      Delete