Tuesday, 25 July 2017

Japanese inspired Buchanans!

After making my Paul Frank dressing gown using Gather's Buchanan Dressing Gown pattern I have had a few requests from friends to make them one of their very own.

First up is for a friend I am visiting in San Francisco next week. She bought me this beautiful double sided Japanese cotton from Tokyo with instructions to make something nice out of it.
The fabric is a mid-weight cotton which is printed with pretty red cherry blossoms on one side then a geometric sashiko-style print on the reverse. Mel now has a lovely dressing gown to remember her fab Tokyo trip!
Due to fabric restrictions I had to slightly shorten the length of the dressing gown but as she is a good couple of inches shorter then me I think it will be perfect for her. 



My next make is for my boyfriend's sister, Karen. She absolutely LOVES pandas and when I saw this fabric I knew it had to be a Buchanan dressing gown for her too! In 2005 Mel, Karen, Chris (my bf) and myself visited Tokyo and saw pandas in Ueno zoo. Karen was in her element!


Detail shots of both dressing gowns:






I added ribbon into the seam on the panda version so you can tie the dressing gown closed to prevent the inner front from slipping down. I only thought of this modification after completing the red cherry blossom version. It's a nice idea that I will use for future Buchanan's.





I am really happy with how these dressing gowns turned out. The construction was so much easier having made one before and I used French Seams again throughout for a neater finish. It is the perfect pattern for a gift and I already have ideas for my sister-in-law for her Christmas present. If I start now maybe it will be finished in time for December!

Do you have a go-to sewing pattern for gifts?

9 comments:

  1. Both are absolutely stunning! This is such a great pattern to use for gifts. I often go for pencil cases! I love the fabric for both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yes, pencil cases are a good idea for gifts.

      Delete
  2. Hi Caroline, these are both beautiful but I especially like the red one with the double sided design. It looks just like lining but with no extra work.
    Bags always go down well with my friends, who always seem to have lots of things to carry. I am sure they would also like one of your dressing gowns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, bags are the perfect gift for friends and a great stash buster too!

      Delete
  3. These are beautiful! I especially like the fabric of the first one, it is gorgeous. The ribbon looks great too and both gowns are so neatly sewn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. I have refined the make on each one I have made so far. It is a really good pattern.

      Delete
  4. Both are beautiful and what lovely gifts. I especially love the red one but then red is my thing! I wouldn't have thought to make dressing gowns as gifts but it makes so much sense. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. They are really easy to make too!

      Delete
  5. I love these - every time I see this pattern made up
    It makes me want to buy it... but must use stash first!... hope they loved these!

    ReplyDelete