Monday, 23 January 2017

Selvedge Workshop with Janet Bolton

After attending an extremely enjoyable printing workshop at Selvedge in Archway in December I have kept my eye out for other interesting crafty things to do there. I spotted this Saturday workshop with textile artist Janet Bolton and knew I had to go.
Janet Bolton Applique
Way back in 1993 I met Janet at the Harrogate Knit and Stitch Show where I was exhibiting some textile work through Cleveland College of Art and Design. She is as lovely now as she was then with a joyous approach to life (and sewing) which is basically to listen to yourself and do what feels right for you!

The workshop began with a quick biography of Janet's career and her philosophy and approach to making and then quickly onto the fun part of creating.

Using a neutral main fabric as a background we made a 'canvas' by arranging borders of fabric around the central fabric. This was hand-stitched in place.




We used white paper to create a view-finder to help visual the balance of the colours / fabric and widths of the borders
Janet's scraps of fabric that she kindly brought for us to rummage through!
Lunch break!
Some of the lovely ladies on the course deep in sewing concentration
The next step was to create the main 'picture' inside the canvas. I didn't want to create anything representational as some of the other ladies on the course were doing so decided upon an abstract route. I used neutral, black, grey and patterned geometric prints to dictate and inspire my composition.





I arranged several versions of what I wanted and used a combination of needle-turned applique (where the edges are carefully turned in and stitched into place) and appliquéing with raw frayed edges showing.
A cheerful Janet at the end of the workshop!


I thoroughly enjoyed this workshop. I didn't learn any new sewing techniques but spent six hours happily hand-stitching with a great bunch of ladies and loved every minute! A big thanks goes to my new friend Kathy who came all the way from the States to attend this workshop. She brought some lovely fabrics that most of us in the workshop used a bit of!

I have not included the final finished piece as I have signed up to Ute and Sanae's Secret Valentine Exchange for the second year and this might be my secret Valentine's gift. I have yet to decide!


What do you think?
Would you like to receive this hand-stitched textile as a gift?

8 comments:

  1. That looks fab Caroline, I should be busting scraps like that too in my 2017 pledge! I don't think mine are as harmonious as those monochrome ones though. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I had to make a concerted effort to sew with monochrome as there were so many pretty coloured fabric options to be had in my stash and on the day!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful workshop and everyone looks like they are having fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a great workshop. So relaxing and chilled out!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a lot of fun and a great way to use up scraps of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex, yes it was really fun and I used up a decent amount of my scraps x

      Delete
  4. You find lovely workshops to attend. I really enjoy doing things like this, just for spending time with nice people and having fun. The piece is an added bonus! You were right to keep with monochrome it's dramatic and modern and the grey lifts it. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Louise. I truly enjoyed the company and the activity. So relaxing and fun!

      Delete