Thursday, 19 January 2017

Pickled Vegetables


A while ago I attended a Fermentation workshop at Nama, a raw food restaurant in Notting Hill. It was great fun and the pickled vegetables was the easiest and by far my favourite recipe of the evening. The recipe below is inspired by Nama's head chef (who created Nama's recipe based on her mum's home-made pickles).

This recipe is very flexible so you can alter things to your own tastes.
The most suitable vegetables to use need to have a crunchy texture and be fresh.

Ingredients (amounts can vary depending on what you have in the fridge):

Large cucumber
Three carrots
20 radishes
5 sticks of celery
Cyder vinegar (enough to fully submerge the veg. I used a whole bottle)
Salt (a couple of generous pinches to taste)
Coconut sugar (you can use regular sugar instead)

Method:

  • Very finely slice all hard vegetables like carrots and celery. I used a food processor but you can just as easily cut the vegetables by hand
  • Finely slice the cucumber (if it is too finely sliced it tends to loose its shape when pickled)
  • Put all vegetables in one bowl and mix together


  • Completely submerge the vegetables in cyder vinegar. I used the whole bottle in the photo below


  •  Add two or three generous pinches of salt. Adjust amount to your preference. It is the combination of vinegar and salt that pickles the vegetables

  • Add a few teaspoons of coconut sugar to taste. You are aiming for a balance between salty, sweet and sour.


  •  Your pickled vegetables can be eaten immediately for a refreshing side accompaniment to a meal. I have got a generous amount in my lunches this week alongside quinoa, fresh tomatoes and chicken
  • To store the pickled vegetables place a sealable container and keep in the fridge. It would make a lovely gift if you put the pickled veg in pretty glass jars with a hand-made label!
  • My last batch lasted about two weeks in the fridge
  • Any remaining pickling liquid can be added to marinades or used for a salad dressing
  • I hope you enjoy this simple and tasty recipe!
This post is linked to #handmademonday organised by Julia of Sum of their Stories.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh these look good! I love pickles veg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn. It is really yummy with cheese and biscuits too!

      Delete
  2. I think of old fashioned methods when I think of pickling. My nan used to stink the house out with beetroot on the stove and the green unripened tomatoes which she turned into something no one really liked but ate anyway so as not to upset her!
    This looks so much more appetising, and so simple too. My ideas of what pickling is are updated!

    ReplyDelete