Saturday, 28 January 2017

National Gallery Late Event

I am signed up to the London Craft Club newsletter which highlights fun crafty things to do every month. Last night I attended a quilting workshop at the National Gallery to celebrate the Australian Impressionists exhibition ran by the lovely Sonia who set up the London Craft Club. The workshop was held in gallery 43 surrounded by stunning famous paintings.

The session was a speedy 60 minute lesson in English Paper Piecing which I haven't done since my textile degree in the 1990's.








The workshop ended too fast but I did manage to cut out the four main sections of the design. I continued sewing the pieces together this morning.

The technique of English Paper Piecing uses (as the name suggests) a paper pattern as a template for the fabric. Traditionally you would baste the paper template to the fabric but a quick cheat is to use glue to hold the seam allowance onto the paper.
You use a simple whip stitch to attach the individual pieces together, taking very small sections of the fabric so the stitches are close together.

I got really into sewing the pieces together this morning and added a couple of extra sections to the patchwork. I used blues and greens to create a seascape / landscape effect.



The patchwork with all pieces hand-sewn together
The next step is to remove the paper templates



The patchwork with paper templates removed 

Patchwork with seams pressed
What am I going to do with my lovely little English Pieced Paper Patchwork you might ask?

As you know from my previous post I am taking part in the Secret Valentine Exchange. On Monday I was sent the name and address of my Valentine buddy; she is called Kate, lives in Cornwall and loves natural shapes and sea colours. After finding out this information I felt that my previous quilting piece would not be quite right for Kate so decided to create a new piece of work using her preferred colour scheme.

I am now busy incorporating this patchwork piece into a more substantial gift. I will post about it after Valentine's Day.

In the meantime I have really enjoyed the process of English Pieced Paper Patchwork and hope to do some more in the future. Perhaps a cool geometric cushion cover? It is such a great way to stash bust those lovely scraps of precious fabric that are too small to make things out of!

This post is linked to #handmademonday organised by Julia of Sum of their Stories.

14 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds like a lovely way to spend an evening! I love the colours and shapes you've used. I've never tried paper piecing but would definitely like to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn. Yes it was a great way to end the week and the workshop was only £5 which included all the materials and an embroidery hoop too!

      Delete
  2. I love this modern take on paper piecing, I can't wait to see what you make with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. I have finished the gift and sent it to my secret valentine. I will be able to reveal all in two weeks.

      Delete
  3. What a fun workshop, years since I have done paper piecing and hope we get to see a pic of the finished article after the 14th. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline, I will get a post on my blog about the finished gift in two weeks.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting this CJ, I have a London friend who is looking for this kind of thing. I like the colours choices, looking forward to seeing your next one. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. The London Craft Club is a great way of getting out and meeting new people too!

      Delete
  5. What a fun thing to do! My mum taught me paper piecing when I was a child but haven't done it since. I love your choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin - It was about 25 years ago since I last did paper piecing It was more fun than I remember!

      Delete
  6. It looks wonderful, I've never done paper piecing but I might give it a go as handsewing is much more convenient on a bus than machine sewing! Loving your blog the pictures of the paste-ups were brilliant x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie! Yes I really enjoyed the paper piecing patchwork. It was so relaxing to do!

      Delete
  7. Looks great! Hoping they do another one of these that I can join. Look forward to seeing the finished item!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex, you would have loved it. Sonia mentioned something about another paper piecing workshop happening around April time. We will need to keep our eye out for that....

      Delete