Thursday, 5 January 2017

FTM 1920's Jazz Age: Fashion & Photography


I spent an hour after work at the Fashion and Textiles Museum in Bermondsey. It was a lovely way to bring some much needed inspiration and glamour into my life after the shock of returning back to work after a gloriously relaxing Christmas holiday.

If you haven't yet had a chance to visit this exhibition be quick, as it ends on Sunday 15th January. The FTM is a petit and bijou museum but it rarely disappoints. Tonight was no exception as the show opens with a gaggle of gorgeous gowns and coats to hit you with a blast of 1920's glamour. The accompanying literature offers some insight into the purpose, styes and fads of the 1920's fashion era as women were expressing the cultural changes of their role in society.

From a textile enthusiast's perspective the show had me leaning very closely to every mannequin to see the construction techniques, hand embroidery, pin-tucking, beading, tassels and fringing. There were so many sumptuous fabrics, colours and patterns to behold!

I shall leave you with a visual feast of photos.







An added bonus was the sale in the museum shop. I have consciously stayed clear of any high street shops to avoid any knee-jerk sales purchases of things I don't need, but I really couldn't say no to 50% off Sew Over It patterns! The Shift Dress and Pussy Bow Blouse found their way into my life before my return home. Oopss!

8 comments:

  1. I went a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it. The hemlines were up and down like yoyo's in the 20's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't noticed that until you mentioned it! Yes they were lots of hemlines going on!!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great exhibition, I would have been leaning in to take a closer look at construction details too! I've admired lots of blogger versions of those two sew over patterns so can understand why you were tempted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex, yes it was a lovely was to spend the evening. I couldn't resist the SOI patterns as they are never reduced that much!!

      Delete
  3. This looks like a wonderful exhibition - so many great colours, prints and textures in those clothes. The Liberty exhibition was my first visit to the Fashion & Textile Museum and I'd love to go back sometime. And that's definitely too good a deal to pass up in the shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn, yes the exhibition was a delight - as were the reduced patterns!

      Delete
  4. Those photos were a feast for the eyes and you were SOOOOOoooo right to pick up those patterns. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. Yes I am happy that I took advantage of the 50% off sale!

      Delete