Tuesday, 31 May 2016

The One Metre Moneta

What can you do with one metre of knit fabric?
The obvious choice would be to make a t-shirt or long-sleeved tee.

I had one metre of lovely charcoal grey four-way stretch knit fabric in my stash - one of the lovely Girl Charlee UK knits I won in the raffle at Sew Brum in October 2015.

After completing the analysis of MMM2016 I realised I have a LOT of me-made tops which got me to thinking.... could I squeeze a Colette Moneta dress out of one metre of fabric?

The answer is yes!



Yes, if you don't line it or add pockets and forget the sleeves too!

It was a very satisfying quick make and I really wish I had made one last year when I bought the pattern. The softly gathered skirt looks really flattering and the bodice is a lovely fit.

I made a few amendments. I had to add a patchwork slither to the skirt side seams on the back due to fabric limitations. I cut a size small as my waist and hips fitted into this size but ended up adjusting the bodice to probably what is now a size x small. I also lengthened the skirt by about 4cm.



I used a Prym elastic rather than the suggested clear elastic (mostly because I had it in my stash) and sewed it together with a regular foot, a stretch needle, stitch length 2.5cm, width 1cm.


It is currently un-hemmed at the neckline, arms and skirt which I love. Part of me thinks I will totally wreck this when I try to twin-needle the hem or try to sew it with a small zig-zag so I am just going to rock the unfinished look in a fashionable de-constructed meant-to-be way.

I am definitely going to make more of these!

Here are some poor quality selfies of me wearing my new dress. I will get better photos when the weather improves.



Pattern: Colette Moneta = £13.50
Fabric: Girl Charlee UK Charcoal knit = free (won in the SewBrum raffle)
Gutterman Thread: Grey from stash
Elastic: Prym extra soft elastic from stash

Total = £13.50

15 comments:

  1. How did you do that? That is amazing! And I think the unfinished look is great, the whole dress looks great, I'm looking forward to the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit like magic. I honestly couldn't believe I squeezed it out of a metre. The fabric was very wide though so that definitely helped!

      Delete
  2. It looks great - I have a few fabrics I only have a metre of so always interested to find inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks x Yes I am very happy with my fabric Jenga-style shenanigans!

      Delete
  3. Your Moneta looks great. I love them - I'm currently making my 7th as I have summer and winter versions! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I love your commitment to the Moneta 7 is a lucky number! I will def make some more myslef too!

      Delete
  4. Your Moneta looks great. I love them - I'm currently making my 7th as I have summer and winter versions! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, very impressed you got this out of one metre of fabric! It looks great, I can see this being a very versatile dress that will get lots of wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. I think it will be a go-to dress. I don't have any more knit fabric suitable so I may have to purchase some! I have been doing so well stash-busting this year too!

      Delete
  6. This looks great! It's amazing what a bit of determination and ingenuity can lead to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bea. I will need to see how it hold up after washing though. Not sure how those un-finished seams will look after a spin in the washer?

      Delete
  7. Oh I love this, particularly the unfinished neck and arms. The dress looks edgy and will look great with your necklaces too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I think it will look great with a whole bunch of my necklaces!

      Delete
  8. This is great, Caroline! Love the shade of grey and I really like that raw edge finish, think it works really well on this dress and looks really modern. I've wanted to make another Moneta for ages now, but finding it really hard to get the right fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And lovely to hear from you.

      Delete