Saturday, 21 May 2016

Shock! I made a top and it's NOT a Scout Tee.


I moved out of my Scout Tee shaped comfort zone and made the T-shirt from the Merchant and Mills Camber Set today. I cut out this top a few weeks ago and spent the evening sewing it together.
Despite the outward appearances of this top looking VERY similar to the Grainline Scout Tee, the Camber Set has some lovely little features and new to me construction methods.



For example, this top has deep French darts, a neckline bias binding on the front of the top and an inner and outer yoke at the back. It's quite cool how the yoke it sewn together, although I won't even begin to explain it here - trust me it's genius. The instructions and illustrations are great and it has excellent quality paper pattern rather than the lightweight tissue provided by some pattern companies.



Overall, I am really happy with my new T-shirt. I used a metre of black and white ikat viscose I bought for £3.25 in the sale at Samuel Taylors in Leeds. Due to the meagre amount of fabric one sleeve did not pattern match very well, although I only think a sewist would notice. Luckily the print is so busy it is not 100% obvious.
What is slightly frustrating is the print is off grain, which means the darker ikat diamonds are slightly sloping to the left. You can spot the slope when you look at the hemline. Luckily the top is long enough to tuck into skirts and trousers and for £3.25 I am not really going to worry too much about a bit of wonky print!

I can see myself making another T-shirt and perhaps the dress version this summer.

Have you sewn anything out of your comfort zone recently?

Pattern: Merchant and Mills Camber Set = £13.00
Fabric: One metre of Ikat Viscose from Samuel Taylors = £3.25
Gutterman Thread: Black from stash

Total: £16.25

8 comments:

  1. Well, this DOES indeed shock me a little! :D Hehe. The tee looks great and I really like the print. The one sleeve that's a little really isn't noticeable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. I really enjoyed sewing a top that wasn't a Scout tee and I can definitely see some more Camber tops in my future.

      Delete
  2. Looks great Caroline! I wouldn't have noticed the slight mismatching or sloping if I wasn't looking carefully. Is the fit much different to the scout t? I'm guessing with that French dart it is more close fitting around the waist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely the fit is still quite loose but I think that seems to be a feature of Merchant and Mills patterns as I cut out the smallest size and its still quite roomy. I like it though - very easy to wear.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I don't think those things are even noticeable to a sewer, unless I'm a really bad one! Looks great and a nice slim silhouette. Good to try something new from time to time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilla. Luckily I'm not a perfectionist all the time and don't mind the slightly wonky print x

      Delete
  4. Are you feeling ok?!? Could this be a new TNT to replace the Scout? ;-) Despite my shared love for the Scout I do like this - excellent fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I think you would like this top too - it's a nice change from the Scout with some lovely little details.

      Delete