Sunday, 8 May 2016

Liberty Linden


Of course I finished making a sweatshirt on the hottest day of the year!
Having tackled my first Linden a month ago I knew I wanted to make one in a Liberty sweatshirt fabric. As luck would have it last week Liberty's had a 30% off any fabric sale and I jumped at the chance to buy one metre of Liberty loopback fleece.


As you can see this fabric is a pricey affair even with 30% off it was £34 for one metre.  I have cut out the Linden and there is still enough for some Liberty sleeves on Linden number three?! - I will get my moneys worth. The black knit ribbing is from Ray Stitch and I used about 1/4 metre for the neckband, cuff and hem-band.

Read my post here about the construction / changes I made to the pattern.

Compared to the Girl Charlee UK terry knit fabric on my first Linden the Liberty fleece has very little width-ways stretch so the sleeves are a little snug around the cuff area - nothing that needs changing just an observation.

It is at this point in my journey of making my own clothes that I wonder about purchasing an overlocker.... the seams would look so much prettier.

Overall, I am really happy with my second Linden and can see a few more in my wardrobe.






Pattern: Grainline Linden (Initial purchase price £14 as it's been used for a second time = free)
Shell Fabric: One metre of Liberty Speckled Clouds Murray A = £34.00
Gutterman Thread: Black and white from stash

Total: £34.00

16 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! I think an overlocker would be a great investment. The basic Janome that they sell in John Lewis is an affordable and reliable model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie. Yes I am going to look at the overlocker at work and may borrow it over the summer holidays before investing in my own!

      Delete
  2. Great Linden - I've just made my first one in plain grey as a cheap try-out of the pattern, but it turned out really well and I plan to make a Liberty version next too.
    I made mine on the overlocker. I bought my first one 25 years ago and when it packed up at the end of last year I went straight out and got it's replacement. Once you've got one, you'll never want to be without it. (Mine's a Juki - not cheap but the VERY much updated version of my old one.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really enjoyed making both my Lindens the only problem with my Liberty one is the lack of stretch in the fabric means that finishing the cuffs with top stitching didn't happen as its difficult to get the right angle under the foot - with my previous one I could stretch it over the machine bed and sew it around. Only a small gripe though. Everyone has good things to say about overlockers. Hopefully I will invest in one soon.

      Delete
  3. Fab sweater - the fabric is beautiful (and def worth the money!).

    I've only used my overlocker for finishing seams so far, but I wouldn't be without it. I've got the basic Janome and love it, but if you do invest, make sure you get one with a bin to catch the scraps - mine doesn't have one and the mess does annoy me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jo - that is a very good tip - thanks for that a it's not something I would have thought about considering when looking for an overlocker.

      Delete
  4. Fab top - that fabric is amazing! I got my overlocker a few years ago and I wouldn't be without it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. Everybody who has an overlocker seems very happy with them! I think it's one of those things that until you get one don't realise how awesome they are!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous Linden it's fab. Worth paying for fabric that's that scrumptious. Did you make this from one metre? That's impressive. I got an overlocker at the beginning of the year and I'm really enjoying it. Had to force myself to use it at first but we are getting on well now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. The fabric is very wide so I managed to fit the front, back and sleeves into one metre with enough to spare for some extra sleeves too. I think it helps having the contrast cuffs (in another fabric) as they need cutting on the fold it means there is more fabric to play with!

      Delete
  6. Great fabric and very impressed that you cut this out of a metre plus still have some left for more sleeves! I'm pondering the purchase of an overlocker too so very helpful to read the tips in other comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was very nifty getting the pattern pieces to fit into as little fabric as possible. Tessellation is king!

      Delete
    2. Good to know it's possible

      Delete
    3. Yes! It can be done. I cut out the second to smallest size so that may make a difference too.

      Delete
  7. This is gorgeous - and may well have swung my decision to make this the next pattern I buy... Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet. It is pretty lush - that's Liberty fabric for you AND a lovely pattern too!

      Delete