Saturday, 2 April 2016

Stash Busting Fabric Storage Box

I have been on a self-imposed fabric diet (unless I don't have anything suitable in the stash to complete a garment) which has made me much more aware of what I have in my stash.

As you know I LOVE pretty much any Marimekko print and made myself some lovely cushions last summer. Due to the expensive nature of the fabric I kept the few scraps of Unikko leftover from my cushion making.

Enter this little project. You can make one of these little storage units in under two hours. If I make another one I would use some iron-on interfacing to strengthen the sides of the box.

I cut the squares to fit the fabric. 1cm seam allowance throughout.

1. Cut 5 squares of fabric for the outside of the box and 5 squares for the lining.
2. With right sides facing, sew four squares onto a central square. Start and finish the seam 1cm away from the edge of the fabric (this is so you can sew the edges together to form the box).
3. With the right side of the fabric on the inside of the box, pin the edges to create a box.
4. Sew the edges of the box together


5. Clip the edges of the corner seams so they turn in easier.
6. Turn box so the right side faces outwards. Iron to set the seams and sharpen the box edges.
7. Repeat steps 1-6 for the inside of the box lining.
8. With right sides facing, pin the two fabric boxes together around the top.
9. Sew around the top of the boxes leaving a little gap so you can turn it out.


10. Turn the fabric box out to the right side and top-stitch around the outer edge to finish.





I found out that turning the fabric over creates a nice effect and offers a little more structure to the fabric. If I made a larger size fabric box again I would definitely use a iron-on facing to add more strength.

Stash busting with the last of my favourite fabric! They would make great presents for friends and family.

11 comments:

  1. Great way to use up scraps of treasured fabric. Useful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! And thanks for the tutorial! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for using up scraps and happy to hear you are able to get a bit more use and joy out of the Marimekko fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I loved making it as it was so simple and you are right about my precious fabric - Great to squeeze out one more make out of it!

      Delete
  4. I made a fabric basket a few months ago but didn't share it on the blog as it was a total fail. I am still determined to make a nice fabric basket though and you have inspired me to try again. Pinning so come the Christmas break I can get my fabric basket making on with your tutorial, thanks! #HandmadeMonday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. You can never have enough storage boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant idea, I was going to make some Pixie ones but never got around to doing them

    ReplyDelete