Sunday, 10 April 2016

Sophie Scout Tees

My friend Sophie lives in Hong Kong and pops back to the UK every 6 months or so. She usually stays at our house for a day or two and on the past two occasions she has kindly gifted me two metres of soft cotton printed fabric that she bought all the way from Hong Kong.

The first metre of fabric is a fabulous 1950's style print. The base colour is a dark blush rose with highlights of black, navy and burnt orange.


The second fabric is an awesome print of a famous Andy Warhol Campbell's soup can print which has been in my stash since Sophie's previous visit in the summer of 2015.


With a metre of each fabulous fabric I turned to my favourite simple top - the Grainline Scout Woven tee.

I know exactly how to make these now without referring to the instructions. I needed to interline the garment with some white cotton batiste which I got from Fabric World on Goldhawk Road for £3.50 a metre. I used just under a metre for each top - so in theory these Scout tees only cost me £1.75 each discounting the gifted fabric, time and thread to make them! Bonus.

In terms of construction, they were French Seamed throughout. Self-bias tape on the neckline. Simple rolled hems on the sleeves and main body. I lengthened the sleeves by about 40cm on the 50's print version and by 20cm on the Campbell's print version. I really love them both and look forward to wearing them in the spring.

A big thanks to Sophie who had such a good eye for these fabulous prints in the first place!









Pattern: Grainline Scout Woven Tee = Free (used so many times now)
Shell Fabric: Two metres of Cotton Lawn gifted by Sophie = Free 
Lining Fabric: Two metres of Batiste from Goldhawk Road = £3.50
Gutterman Thread: White and pink from stash

Total for two tees: £3.50

8 comments:

  1. These are fabulous, your friend has a great eye for pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - yes, Sophie is a keen crafter herself she sews and knits.

      Delete
  2. What wonderful gifts! I think the scout tee is a great choice of pattern to let these fabrics shine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. Yes the Scout tee is a perfect simple top for fab prints like these.

      Delete
  3. Those prints really do look fabulous! And you made two beautiful shirts from tge fabrics! I'm thinking more and more that I should give this pattern a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat. The Scout tee is a great wardrobe staple!

      Delete
  4. Great work Cazza! Love the blog post and the two Scout's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie. I couldn't have made these without your generous and thoughtful gifts!

      Delete