Saturday, 20 February 2016

Secret Valentine Exchange 2016

In January I signed up to the SVE 2016 that is organised by Ute and Sanaeishida (@ute_ig and @sanaeishida on istagram). The idea is a lovely world-wide gift swap with your partner assigned by Ute and Sanaeishida.

I was e-mailed details of my swap buddy who lives in Australia - Shelley - who is an awesome sewer and bike-lover. She has a brilliant blog called Bartacks and Singletrack and her instagram account is lightningmcstitch. I did a little bit of research / cyber-stalking before deciding what to make.

I knew from the start that I wanted to use primarily stash fabric, so when I discovered Shelley liked muted browns, greys and muddy colours (her words as written in the application form for SVE) I knew I would only have a limited range of stash fabric to choose from.

This was my potential starting point from my stash:


I selected my fabric - the tree fabric called Glimma by Lotta Jansdotter from Windham Fabrics which I bought from Ray Stitch in 2013. It was a quick decision that I was going to make two tea-towels and two quilted pot-holders! I thought something for the kitchen would be a practical but nice gift to receive.

Mitred corners for the tea-towels
Organic cross-grain tape for hangers
Quilting wadding between two layers of the cotton
Close up of the pot-holder quilting
Bias binding and cross-grain tape for a hanger
The finished pot-holders and tea-towels before there long journey to Australia!



All the gifts wrapped up ready for my Secret Valentine Exchange
I really enjoyed being involved in this event and sent my parcel off to Shelley in Australia on the 1st February hoping it would arrive in time for Valentine's Day. It didn't get to Australia until the 19th February - I had been frantically checking Instagram everyday in the lead up to and after the 14th February and was so happy that it arrived safely and that Shelley liked her gifts.

So that was first part of the SVE, the second aspect is receiving a secret gift from a fellow crafter!
I was extremely happy to receive my parcel on the 12th February and waited about half an hour before I carefully revealed the contents!
My SVE buddy was fantastic. The wonderful Marilla Walker (pattern-maker and crafter-extraordinaire) sent me such an awesome gift!
Exciting package in the post!
Fab tissue packaging with hand-printed stickers!
A lovely hand-screen printed bag and screen-printed card with a beautiful hand-embroidered necklace inside!
The back of the necklace - pretty neat huh!?
Free-style hand embroidery including seed stitch, back stitch and cross-stitch with hand-tatting to connect the felt pieces

Marilla made me a beautiful hand-embroidered felt necklace with a tatted and plaited tie. It is so pretty! Thanks Marilla! I will definitely sign up for the SVE 2017! How about you?

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear I really wasn't helpful with my brief description of my tastes, was I? :) Yet you've delighted me with my valentine gift. Not only have you chosen, gorgeous fabrics, made a gift with fantastic technique, but you've also filled a whole in my household needs without possibly knowing it! The guess of dark chocolate was a truly inspired move too!
    Thank you so much Caroline!
    Shelley xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley! Glad you have made use of the gifts already and you enjoyed the dark chocolate too!

      Delete
  2. What a cute set you made! :) I really like that fabric! :) You're gift looks beautiful too and the swap really sounds found! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. Yes it was fun to get involved in the SVE and I'm looking forward to getting involved next year.

      Delete
  3. Caroline! What a lovely recap! I love the LJ fabric you selected, and the quilted potholder and tea towels are terrific! And how fun is that necklace - I see in your IG pix that you've already got a collection of whimsical necklaces so that was a brilliant choice on Marilla's part! Thank you so much for participating, and we're looking forward to next year! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sanae, I am really pleased with the necklace Marilla made for me its so lovely. I had great fun making Shelley's gifts and really enjoyed the whole process - looking forward to SVE2017!

      Delete