Saturday, 29 August 2015

Tropical Fifi

































My second Tilly and the Buttons post within the week! When the new patterns were released from T&tB HQ there was a £20 offer for both the Bettine and Fifi.

The Fifi is a cute little camisole and shorts pattern - a summer PJ set!

My friend Sophie gifted me a beautiful metre of this tropical cotton voile from Hong Kong when she came to stay in London in July. As soon as I saw the Fifi pattern I knew it would be a perfect match!
I didn't quite have enough fabric to cut the camisole on the bias so had to stick with the stright-grain
Lovely pleat detailing on the camisole bust area 
The finished camisole set with self-made bias straps and along the hem of the camisole
I am really happy with the final garments but I have to say these are very teeny tiny shorts and definitely only to be worn inside the house! If I had the time to do some unselfish sewing these would make a great present to make for special female friends or family members.

I would like to try a second set but cut the camisole on the bias this time because it would fit so much nicer than on the straight-grain as it's a little snug when getting it on and off.

Overall it was a quite satisfying project with lots of French Seams and carefully considered detailing. Despite the large amount of bias binding you have to make I found it an enjoyable experience. It did make me consider buying one of those bias-binding makers - have you ever used one of those before?

6 comments:

  1. That is indeed a beautiful print! I love waht you made from it! I'm working with bias-binding makers, I bought them very cheap on ebay and they're doing a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katharina. I think I may invest in a bias-binding maker. Sounds like yours are holding up!

      Delete
  2. Some lovely details in this make :) I brought a bias binding maker when I started sewing but didn't find it helpful so switched to just making by hand. However, I've seen some strong reviews for the Clover makers (haven't tried myself yet) so looks like it is worth spending a bit more - e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clover-18-Bias-Tape-Maker/dp/B001703IY2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alex, there are quite a few lovely little details in this make. I will look into that bias-binding maker you suggested. Thanks x

      Delete