Thursday, 27 August 2015

Gingham Bettine for Made Up pledge


Hey, have heard of the #Made-Up initiative that has been organised by the lovely Karen from 'Did You Make That?'  alongside the National Literacy Trust to encourage and support reading and literacy in the UK. The idea is to donate and make a pledge that is related to anything creative (that is where the Made Up bit comes in).

This was my pledge:

As you can see I kept it vague and unspecific because I had no idea what I would make at the donation stage of my pledge. Needless to say I was not without inspiration for patterns or fabric.
I elected to make the new Bettine dress by Tilly and the Buttons in a black and white gingham that I bought from Goldhawk Road in 2013 (I know this because I blogged about its purchase!!).

Onto the dress. Unless you have been off-grid from social media I am sure you know the latest lovely release from T&tB. The Bettine is an elegant and funky elastic-waisted dress with kimono sleeves and the option for pockets (got to love a pocket!).

I referred to the power of Instagram to help select whether I should do bias or straight-grain pockets. Bias won!
I cut out bias sleeve cuffs to link with the pocket detailing. 
Just after sewing the skirt side seams my beloved Bernina broke! The On/Off switch just snapped inside (along with my heart).
Hand-picked hem due to broken Bernina!
I have taken my sewing machine to Chapman Sewing Machines in Camden today and will let you know how Bernie gets on. He has been a stalwart of a machine - this is the FIRST time since 1990 that he has EVER broken. I am looking forward to his return after a nice bit of TLC servicing and replacement of his broken switch.

For my next Bettine I will need to add length to both the bodice and skirt in addition to altering the hip curve to be less pronounced.

6 comments:

  1. The dress looks great, I can't wait to see it on you! I'm very sorry about your machine and I hope you'll get it back soon and repaired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katharina. Yes I do hope my machine is able to get fixed. The repair shop were pretty confident that it will be able to be fixed, which is reassuring.

      Delete
  2. Poor machine, they are almost like pets! I find myself talking to mine. This looks fab, can't wait to see it on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I love my machine x I am missing him already!

      Delete
  3. Looks great, good call going with bias cut for the pockets and cuffs. Hope you get your sewing machine back good as new soon! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. Yeah I'm looking forward to getting my machine back all serviced and sweet!

      Delete