Friday, 14 August 2015

Applique Creeper-face Cushions

If you interact with anybody aged 5 and up you will probably be aware of a computer game called Minecraft. My nephews aged 6 and 8 love it and this idea for a Creeper-face (baddy character in the game) cushion has been knocking around in my head for ages. It's a great stash-buster too.


If you want to make a cushion for a Minecraft-fan of your own here's how I did it.

First I downloaded this cool Creeper-face template from Kerry Ann Morgan's blog - thanks so much Kerry!

Onto supplies: Green fabric for the front, bonda-web, black fabric and any other colour for the back of the cushion, black thread, cushion pad / cushion filler.
Equipment: Iron, sewing machine, pins, scissors.

As this was a stash-busting exercise I didn't really worry about making the cushions to any standard size as I made the cushion fillers myself. Decide your own route and cut the green fabric to your needs.

Next sketch out the Creep-face template onto the bonda-web and iron it onto the black fabric.


Cut out the black bonded fabric, peel away the paper and iron onto the green fabric. At this point I made a decision that I would use the 'negative' section of the black creeper-face for a design to go onto the back of the cushion... so choose your option and get ironing! You can use a tea-towel or scrap fabric to prevent any stray glue getting on your iron.


The next step is to secure the applique with machine stitching. I took the quick option and sewed a straight stitch around the applique but you could use a satin stitch if you would prefer a better quality finish.


Complete this top-stitching for all the appliqued motifs. Due to the black thread it is hard to tell what it looks like so here is the back of the cushion to see the stitching.


The next step is to assemble the cushions. I chose to make an envelope cushion rather than one with a zip (for speed). You cut two sections for the back of the cushion that overlap like in a pillowcase. Hem any raw edges of the 'overlap' section - its always quicker to use a selvedge if you are not too fussy about the finish on the inside of the cushion.
You get the idea in the photo below. As I was stash busting and to avoid future fights over cushions I luckily had orange and red scrap fabric - the favourite colours of each nephew so they had a distinctly personal cushion each.


Pin the fabric in place with right sides together and sew around the edges. I used a zig-zag stitch to finish the raw edges inside - overlock if you are lucky enough to own a serger.
Iron everything and stuff those crazy Creeper-faces with a cushion pad!
Then gain major kudos points (and hopefully hugs) when you hand them over to your Minecraft fan.




13 comments:

  1. Great idea Caroline! I particularly like that you used the negative section on the back of the cushions. Hope your nephews love them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! They are due here any minute now so I'll let you know what they think soon x

      Delete
  2. Love the idea, too! The cushions turned out great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katharina, my nephews really loved them!

      Delete
  3. What a great gift idea:) thanks for sharing at #handmademonday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Carolee. They were really fun to make too!

      Delete
  5. I think cushions are a great gift idea for kids and teens, useful and different to the socks, gift tokens and lynx spray that they normally get! My kids missed the whole minecraft thing, I think they were just a little bit too old when it took off, but I know plenty of people whose kids would love this for their rooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia. Yes, I think the demographic is quite young for Minecraft. My nephews totally loved them.

      Delete
  6. Love this and the use of the negative image, my niece is so into minecraft. #HandmadeMonday

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. They were certainly a hit with my Minecraft fans!

      Delete
  7. My kids are way too old for Minecraft, so I have to admit to knowing very little about it. I can imagine your nephews loved them. Cushions make great presents.

    ReplyDelete