Saturday, 2 May 2015

Liberty Simplicity 1364

Last month whilst reading the blog for Guthrie and Ghani, Lauren mentioned she had been selected to be a judge for a competition for sewing bloggers by Simplicity. To enter you need to e-mail Simplicity stating which pattern you would like to use (there are three choices) and they send you a free pattern!

You need to make the garment by 31st May and blog about it. I am going to show you my first attempt at the vintage reproduction Simplicity 1364, (I'm hoping I could make another one by the 31st).

Let's introduce Simplicity 1363 = it's a cute little 1960's top pattern:




The Liberty Tana Lawn was a little bargain that I picked up from Shakut's last year and I had just the right amount for this little top - it was meant to be.
The pattern has deep French darts, a neck facing and tiny darts at the elbow of the sleeves. 

Construction was fairly straight forward but I did have trouble with the application of the neck facing. I omitted the small zip at the back after trying the top on during fitting stages when I realised you can quite easily get away without one. 
I may decide to use a button and hand-loop on my next one and do French Seams for a neater finish. What do you think?


This top could also qualify for my first Vintage Pledge of the year which is quite convenient - or is it cheating?


4 comments:

  1. Great top Caroline, funky fabric! I'm using french seams on pretty much every top I make, love the neatness, and I think a button and loop would make a lovely detail.
    Definitely not cheating to count this for another challenge, just being efficient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had done French Seams on this make, but sometimes it's hard enough figuring out the basic construction without worrying about the order of a French Seam.

      Delete
  2. Missed this post somehow! I love the fabric, I' ve not been brave enough to sew with liberty fabric yet for fear I'd mess it up. I really like this top hope you enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I got the Liberty print at a much reduced rate than usual so I felt like I should release it's potential rather than sitting in my stash!

      Delete