Friday, 27 March 2015

Tate Modern Course: Painting, print and memory

Next Monday will be the last week of an art course at Tate Modern I have participating in for the last four weeks. The course has been created to coincide with the fantastic Marlene Dumas Image as Burden exhibition.

The first session was spent viewing the Dumas exhibition with an hour spent drawing her work using a limited range of media. Here are my sketches:



The following week we were asked to bring portraits of iconic people and family / friends. I selected Vivienne Westwood and an image of Jim Henson (who bears a striking resembles to my dad).
We used watercolours, inks and resist techniques to capture the portraits with the added challenge of having to paint the image whilst upside down! It was hard but lots of fun. I managed two portraits in the time.

Watercolour, masking fluid, wax and ink

Watercolour and ink
I have been practising my watercolour techniques since the course started and really enjoying it. Here are a few I have created in my own time. The first is another version of Vivienne Westwood, the second is my interpretation of Natasha Khan and the third Anne Frank. I have limited the colour palette and used a water-spray to add movement and energy to the watercolours. I spent a maximum of about 40 minutes on each painting.

Watercolour, wax crayon and ink
Watercolour and ink 
Watercolour
The next session is on Monday where the course attendees get the chance to display three pieces of work in an exhibition at the Cloire Studio at Tate Modern! Pretty cool. I have some mono-prints to include too but haven't photographed yet.

Which three pieces do you think I should display?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow. These are so exciting Caroline I'm just dying to get some paints out and painting upside down sounds brilliant fun. Absolutely fantastic! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilla - I hadn't done any watercolour painting for a while and just got really into it! Such fun to do x

      Delete
  2. These are wonderful Caroline! I especially like the eyes in your first Vivienne Westwood and the colours in the second, plus the way you've done the hair of Natasha Khan is wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. I really enjoyed the urgency and rigorous nature of doing timed paintings - it forces you to get to the point of the painting very quickly and you make decisions and marks that you definitely wouldn't make if you were spending a couple of hours on a piece. Quite liberating!

      Delete