Sunday, 1 February 2015

MA & Mad art

Last Friday I travelled to the University of Warwick with my other half and brother to attend my graduation ceremony. I have spent the last 3 years studying part-time for an MA in Educational Leadership which has involved lots of written assignments and action research projects.  It was a lovely, if slightly surreal day - I couldn't quite believe I had actually done it!


As for the mad art; I spotted a free event on Friday 30th January at Central Saint Martins at Kings Cross which seemed very intriguing.... it was entitled Curating Carnival.
I invited a few friends along and this is what we saw:

Lots of cool arty types attending the event
Dancers wearing metallic sculptures parading in the atrium 
The lights reflected off the shiny surfaces of the sculptures creating interesting effects in the space
Two dancers wearing mirrored masks weaved their way through the flock of sculpture-creatures
Three 'rope' dancers unravelled a large pile of pink rope
On different levels you could see menacing 'bird' dancers who started off with semaphore style choreography
Amazing black and white costumes adorned the 'bird' dancers whose movements had motifs of flight and birds walking
The details in the black and white costumes included applique, patchwork and the use of patterned fabric
I can not claim to understand any of the meaning behind the performance of Curating Carnival, but I do know it was a unique and entertaining experience. A fun free London event!

13 comments:

  1. Yay, congratulations on your graduation! More time for sewing? Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilla!
      Erm... I will only get more time for sewing when I finish my full house renovation. Its about 90% done. I am going to do a series of before and after blog-posts when it is completed.

      Delete
  2. A massive well done, Caroline - what a wonderful achievement x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge congrats on getting your MA! I admire your dedication. And thanks for sharing the Curating Carnival experience, did they have music to accompany the dancers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex!
      Yes there was a strange mixture of heavy and hard dance music alongside industrial sounds and interludes. In addition to the dancers I forgot to mention there were video installations (which you can see in some of the photos) which also had a separate soundtrack - so the sounds were quite jumbled and juxtaposed with each other. It was very loud!

      Delete
  4. Wow congratulations! Finding time and quiet space to work in amongst all your renovations must have been a challenge! What will you do now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the finishing straight for the house - the completion date is Easter!! (slight over-run from Christmas)... after that well I have loads of sewing plans and other fun things to do!

      Delete
  5. What an achievement, well done you must be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an achievement, well done you must be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - Yes I am beginning to wonder how I managed to fit it all in with a full time job? It's weird how when you are up against it just just get on with it!? Sooooo glad it's over now though ; )

      Delete
  7. Congratulations and thanks for sharing all your stunning photos x

    ReplyDelete