Wednesday, 7 January 2015

McCalls 6696 shirtdress completed!

My first ever shirt-dress, DONE. I wore it for the first time today at work and it fits soooo well, it's very comfortable and the pockets are fab. I have joined in with the Autumn of 1,000 Shirtdresses hosted by the loverly Mary at Idle Fancy.
It may have taken me a little longer than planned but as the new year started my main aim was to complete any UFO's in my sewing pile before embarking on any new dress-making adventures.

Let me tell you about the basics:
  • Size: I cut a size 8 bodice, grading to a size10 for the skirt. 2cm added to the length of the skirt
  • Changes: I adapted the back piece by removing the gathering at the back yoke
  • Main fabric: Liberty's burgundy cotton (with a slight stretch) corduroy from Shakut's
  • Inner fabric: Black and white polka dot cotton from Goldhawk Road 
  • Fastenings: Black press-studs from John Lewis, black hook and eyes from stash
  • Interfacing: Didn't need any for the collar or button-stand due to the weight of the corduroy

A lot of time was spent hand-finishing all hems, facings and I chose the jumbo press-studs for the fastenings to create a cleaner line on the finished garment. I was 'slightly' worried about my press-studs popping open but they held fast all day with no embarrassing incidents thankfully!

I am very happy with the insides being as nice as the outsides - I bias bound the seams with a satin bias-binding which gives a little bit of glamour. As you know from my previous posts I had to chose a lighter weight fabric for the facings so I had the chance to pair the burgundy cord with black and white polka dot cotton which I think works very well - what do you think?

The 1,000 pin method to set in the sleeve! 
Hand basting the sleeve after pinning.
The McCalls 6696, pretty on the inside too!
Pocket bound with satin bias-binding.
You can't quite see it in this photo but there's polka dot pocket linings too!
The adaption of the back piece by taking the gathering out of the yoke worked really well. I had to create the two pleats you see above the waistband that 'almost' match exactly with the skirt darts!

29 comments:

  1. What a lovely dress, so beautifully finished, Caroline! I've had the pattern and fabric waiting to go for some time...
    Hope the new job is going well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes new job is going well thanks. Break out that pattern and cut into your fabric. The McCall's shirt dress fits like a dream.

      Delete
  2. Love this! The colour and spotty lining are a great combo. What's next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to finish the coat. Not sure what after that.... So many options!

      Delete
    2. Have you considered the Francoise? It would suit you! Alas, it does not do me many favours!

      Delete
    3. I've seen the Francoise and it's on my to do list - but I've still sooooo many others to make first. I really should do an audit of my patterns so I can see what I fancy doing next.
      Trousers are at the top of the list for 2015!

      Delete
    4. I want to try some trousers out too, but the fitting scares me!

      Delete
  3. In addition to this, I'm going to be booking my flights for the summer this week, how does the 4th and 5th of July sound for a visitor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 4th and 5th July will be fine. Nothing in the calendar - until now that is!
      Is it just you popping over or both of you? X Very excited about our sewing related adventure!

      Delete
  4. Duncan will be coming over a week before me as he breaks up earlier. I will fly straight into Heathrow and come straight to you :) I have learnt how to sleep on a plane, so I should be fresh as a daisy (after a shower!) I'll keep my eye on potential classes/workshops for that weekend. What do you fancy doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ace x Looking forward to catching up x

      Delete
  5. I have dress envy! What a great fit and a beautiful finish - nice work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. It took a lot of sewing hours to get it right.
      The great thing about the McCall's pattern is the bodice pattern has a range of cup sizes. Everybody on the course had a very good fit pretty much straight from the packet.
      Def going to make another one but in a spring / summer fabric. If I start now it should be ready for July!

      Delete
  6. It's gorgeous! I love the color and all the details. I like how you solved the problem of the pouffy back in that pattern. I've been meaning to make it. Hopefully, for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara. You should definitely make your own version - I'd love to see what fabrics you would choose and the modifications you would make. It is a real gem of a dress!

      Delete
  7. This dress looks great - and lovely and cosy! Loving all the details - looks very well finished and I think the black and white polka dot fabric in the collar works very well. You should be very pleased with this! I'm currently trying to get a basic dress fitting reasonably well before making up in a nice fabric, seeing how lovely your dress has turned out has given me a little extra motivation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex - it's been a longer process than my usual makes but I'm trying to put more effort into the fit and finish to avoid having lots of ill-fitting me-mades. I gave my BHL Polly top to the charity shop yesterday - I just never really wore it. Going to focus on quality makes and more challenging garments this year.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic! Looks nice than better RTW. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning!
    All the extra touches you added elevate a nice dress to couture.
    Cheers,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments Marie x

      Delete
  10. Gorgeus dress, love the corduroy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The corduroy is very comfy, warm and practical for work too. Bonus all round x

      Delete
  11. Loving the colour and the style, and always happy to find another sewing blogger...
    bestest daisy j x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daisy - Just checked out your blog too. It's super cool!!

      Delete
  12. Awesome dress and workmanship!!! I can't wait to try that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks x Its a very good fit because you can choose the cup size of the bodice. It's quite a lot of work but definitely worth it! Give it a go!

      Delete