Wednesday, 22 October 2014

Late at the Tate

I went to see the private view of the Late Turner exhibition with my friend Rachel at Tate Britain the other week. If you get a chance to see this exhibition I would highly recommend it. I was surprised how much I enjoyed his work.
Seeing so many Turner paintings in one place has a huge impact; his amazing use of light and delicate colour palettes are gorgeous!


I was also excited to see the Phyllida Barlow installation that was a series of site specific sculptures entitled 'Docks'. The show ended at the weekend and I was so happy to get a chance to see the sculptures because they were so crazy, huge, over-whelming, fun and serious all at the same time.

Phyllida Barlow's Dock sculptural installation at Tate Briatin, 6th October 2014
We also checked out the four finalists for the 2014 Turner Prize.
There are three video installation artists in the final this year which I wasn't that bothered about. My favourite entry was by Ciara Phillips. She has created a screen printed room and worked with other artists and womens' groups to create a collaborative art piece.

Ciara Phillip's very Warholesque screen-printed room at Tate Britain
Ciara Phillip's screen printed room
Have you seen this year's Turner Prize entries? 
What do you think of them?

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you, i don't appreciate video installations and the screen printed room looks awesome! Very jealous of your evening gallery visits, we get a few visiting art shows throughout the year and their is a gallery, but it's heavily Chinese art orientated! I usually gather my art gallery viewing on holiday - we did Australian ones this summer. Which is your favourite art gallery abroad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie, I love the Guggenheim and MOMA in NYC and the Pompidou Centre in Paris. I also thought Gaudi's Casa Batllo in Barcelona was absolutely amazing too. So many great ones yet to visit too ; )
      Loving the sound of your Australian art visits - you should do a retrospective review on your blog - or are you just keeping it to sewing stuff?

      Delete