Sunday, 8 June 2014

The seven year shift or Simplicity 9620

I realised during Me-Made-May that I wear seperates a lot! They are more versatile for my day-job and I enjoy mixing things up with different combinations too.

I do like a nice dress though and in April, as the realisation of MMM loomed closer I figured that I did need to mix things up a bit. Enter Simplicity 9620 in black and white plaid.


This was not a conscious choice of pattern but happened to be a UFO that had sat in my stash pile for about seven years! It had moved house in this unfinished state two times - can you believe that!?

Anyway, back to the pattern.
It is a very easy make. A simple cut on fold for both the front and back (you heard it! NO fastenings) with bust darts and back darts with facings for the neckline and armholes.

The main body of the dress had already been sewn together (seven years ago) so the only thing that I needed to finish on the plaid shift was the facings and hem. I had the neck-facings already cut out but only one armhole facing; and with no extra plaid fabric I had to free-style the finish on the armholes with a rolled hem (machined on the first roll, then hand-stitched on the second).

It didn't take me very long to finish this little cutie and made me wonder why it was abandoned in the first place. The only issue I have with my finished garment is the placing of the plaid. I obviously was not as detail focussed when I originally cut this shift out seven years ago; if I had the chance to re-do it I would make sure the prominent white line in the plaid was centralised in the middle of the dress. I would also aim to match the side seams better too.

At least it shows with extra practise and the help of fellow bloggers like Andrea,  Katie,  Tilly, Winnie and Jen I have improved my eye for detail and my knowledge of garment sewing. Yeah!


16 comments:

  1. That must feel good to get that off the UFO pile! Looks cute with tights and brogues :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes very nice to get it finished. Its funny how on some things you abandon half-finished and when you come to finish it you can't even remember why it wasn't completed in the first place ; )

      Delete
  2. How satisfying! What a lovely make and a such a versatile pattern - one to use again?! Bet you sew it up a bit faster next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire - yes its the same pattern as my dress I wore to the V&A for NYlon - yet to be blogged! And, yes it took me almost not time at all to sew it together this time around ; )

      Delete
  3. Such a sweet dress! Shift dresses are firmly on my list too after MMM - I saw so many gorgeous ones around Instagram, especially Kath of Berni and I. Your plaid one is gorgeous, and I actually really like the pattern placement across the front!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I will need to check out Kath's dresses now ; ) This dress really is a quick make if you have some stash fabric you need to use up - it only takes 1.5 metres of 45" wide fabric.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a great one for the stash! It's going on my 'when Simplicity has a sale' list :)
      Btw, do you want to make an attempt on trousers with the Named Alpi pattern? I haven't seen anything else that comes as close to a design I'd like to wear. We could get cracking on the Tilly PJs this week too? What do you reckon?

      Delete
    3. Hi Sue I'm definitely up for starting to make Tilly's PJ's this week. I have a crazy week at work next week so any sewing action will be limited to the weekend. Luckily I have cotton in my stash and elastic. I will check to see if I need anything else otherwise I will need a speedy trip out on Saturday morning.

      Delete
  4. The dress looks so cute on you! Great point about it being a real stash buster - hmm, wonder what's in my stash at the moment ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nilla, yes its a speedy little number (if you cut out and sew it without a seven-year gap inbetween). Great for making a dress in some coverted fabric because it doesn't take too much.

      Delete
  5. The dress looks great, really like the plaid, think the pattern placement actually works quite nicely

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Ines. Its a nice little dress to wear too ; )

      Delete
  7. Ha, ha- love that you had an unfinished project sat around for seven years!! Makes me feel better about my own neglected makes. Most recent ones were t shirts I had cut out for daughter #1 - daughter #3 could just about squeeze her juicy fat tummy into them by the time I eventually made them. Your dress is lovely. And I like the fact you've gone ahead and finished it regardless of fact you would cut it differently now - a lesson to us all not to let minor things hold us back from finishing something, as you have a lovely dress as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's pretty mad that the little plaid dress had sat in my stash for soooo long : ) happy I took the time to finish it now.
    So I've just got to make time to finish the following UFO's:
    Blue tulip skirt
    Green tulip skirt
    B&W Laurel top
    Red spotty Sorbetto

    ReplyDelete