Thursday, 29 August 2013

Summery Sorbetto

I dug out my old faithful Bernina today because I fancied whipping up something simple and speedy. I decided on the Colette Sorbetto (free pattern) and focused on improving the fit and length of the top from the previous version (black and white stripy Sorbetto).
First thing I had to do was adjust the pattern by adding 3cm just below the armhole and above the bust darts to not only lengthen the top but to lower the darts too. On a previous attempt I tried to lower the darts using an online tutorial but it really didn't work so I went with a simpler option.
I then also added 3cm in roughly the same place at the back so the notches would still line up (which they surprisingly did!). I also altered the hemline by curving and dropping it by about 6cm at the back so it is a comfier fit (and will tuck into skirts and trousers better too).

I chose a beautiful cotton voile (Wish by Valori Wells Designs) that I purchased at Guthrie and Ghani a month ago. The fabric has a complex paisley-like design with 16 colours in the repeat pattern!
Here is the finished Sorbetto with purple bias-biding on the neck and armholes. I chose not to apply bias-binding to the hemline because it is quite stiff (I'm hoping it will soften in the wash) and wanted the hem to be more pliable for tucking into skirts and trousers. For a neater finish on the inside I used French seams for the side and shoulder seams. Overall I am quite happy with my new summery top - I just hope we continue to have this lovely weather so I can enjoy wearing it now rather than having to wait until next year!

4 comments:

  1. Woah!! That fabric is so cool! I love all those colours together. Psychedelic! Makes a great Sorbetto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! There was only one metre left on the roll when I bought the fabric and thought it would make a great little Sorbetto. The cool thing with such a colourful print is there are lots of options to co-ordinate the rest of the outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute fabric... I like how the central fold pattern mirrors the pattern either side. Glad you got an improved fit for you this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Emma Jayne. Yes I spent a bit of time lining up the central design so it would create a fun effect in the centre : )

    ReplyDelete