Sunday, 25 January 2015

Pop-up Re-fashioning

Over Christmas I spotted a free crafting event at the Southbank in London for the first week in January - so I booked two tickets and invited my friend Natalie along. All you needed to do was turn up to the event with an item of clothing you want to adapt or re-fashion. It was part of a Pop-up charity shop for 'Mind' the mental health charity. The re-fashioning tools and accessories were provided for you to get creative! The choices were pretty extensive, they had; pom-poms, safety pins, sequins, beads, wool, embroidery threads, buttons, zips and pockets cut from other garments.

I had brought a selection of clothes but decided upon a simple navy gap tunic dress to change. There were no sewing machine available for any complex alterations so opted for a DIY re-fashion with these awesome coloured safety pins - the advantage being when I get bored I can easily remove them!



I also found any amazing bargain in the Pop-up charity shop - a bright green Paul Smith shirt in my size with the original labels attached for only £10. The original price on the tag was £148! Happy days. The button placements are quite unique and the buttons have been sewn on with different colours for an interesting touch.



Friday, 16 January 2015

Neon lights and Elizabeth I

My good friend and I took some time out to enjoy the last few days of the Neon artwork at the Lights of Soho gallery. The exhibition centred around the late God's Own Junkyard artist, Chris Bracey who mastered the magic of Neon adverts during a 40-year career in advertising and commissioned artworks (read more here).






Afterwards we popped over to the National Portrait Gallery for the Late Shift and got involved in the weekly free drawing workshop there. The theme for the evening was to select a figure from any portrait then transport them into a different environment (background). It was such a relaxing way to spend an hour or two. We chose the Tudors Gallery and decided to sketch Elizabeth I.
The portrait I chose dated from 1588 (an adult Elizabeth) and my friends was around 20 years earlier and showed her as a girl.
What do you think? Look at the beautiful details on her costume! Such bling....



Wednesday, 7 January 2015

McCalls 6696 shirtdress completed!

My first ever shirt-dress, DONE. I wore it for the first time today at work and it fits soooo well, it's very comfortable and the pockets are fab. I have joined in with the Autumn of 1,000 Shirtdresses hosted by the loverly Mary at Idle Fancy.
It may have taken me a little longer than planned but as the new year started my main aim was to complete any UFO's in my sewing pile before embarking on any new dress-making adventures.

Let me tell you about the basics:
  • Size: I cut a size 8 bodice, grading to a size10 for the skirt. 2cm added to the length of the skirt
  • Changes: I adapted the back piece by removing the gathering at the back yoke
  • Main fabric: Liberty's burgundy cotton (with a slight stretch) corduroy from Shakut's
  • Inner fabric: Black and white polka dot cotton from Goldhawk Road 
  • Fastenings: Black press-studs from John Lewis, black hook and eyes from stash
  • Interfacing: Didn't need any for the collar or button-stand due to the weight of the corduroy

A lot of time was spent hand-finishing all hems, facings and I chose the jumbo press-studs for the fastenings to create a cleaner line on the finished garment. I was 'slightly' worried about my press-studs popping open but they held fast all day with no embarrassing incidents thankfully!

I am very happy with the insides being as nice as the outsides - I bias bound the seams with a satin bias-binding which gives a little bit of glamour. As you know from my previous posts I had to chose a lighter weight fabric for the facings so I had the chance to pair the burgundy cord with black and white polka dot cotton which I think works very well - what do you think?

The 1,000 pin method to set in the sleeve! 
Hand basting the sleeve after pinning.
The McCalls 6696, pretty on the inside too!
Pocket bound with satin bias-binding.
You can't quite see it in this photo but there's polka dot pocket linings too!
The adaption of the back piece by taking the gathering out of the yoke worked really well. I had to create the two pleats you see above the waistband that 'almost' match exactly with the skirt darts!

Tuesday, 30 December 2014

1960's coat progress.... or not

Way back in November I started a coat-making workshop at the Clapham Sew Over It store. Things started well over the four weeks but since the course ended I haven't had a moment to spend on it. I hope to get back to finishing the 1960's coat in the new year.

My chosen fabrics - Grey cashmere and wool mix herringbone with bright pink rayon-mix lining
Assembling the many pattern pieces
Cutting the lining
Laying out the coat outer shell - didn't want to make a mistake with this expensive fabric!
The centre back seam with the interfaced back and side sections
The back yoke pinned ready for sewing
The bust dart cut ready to be pressed open on the ham


Monday, 22 December 2014

Christmas Decoration Swap

The lovely Marilla Walker organised a Christmas Decoration swap and my selected Xmas-Deccy-swapette was the very talented Helen from Just Sew Therapeutic. Unlike me, Helen was mega organised and send me a very exciting parcel at the beginning of December.... Thanks Helen... not only did I receive two beautifully hand-made Christmas trees (with bells on!) but some lush chocolate too!




In return I sent Helen three hand-made decorations that were made from bright coloured felt and glass-beads. I based them on a paper decoration I had seen when surfing the internet a few weeks ago. Hopefully Helen likes her decorations as much as I like the ones she made me  x
Thanks Helen for such wonderful decorations and to Marilla for organising the swap!